Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin Tent with Sunblock
Updated: May 1
Let’s take a closer look at the Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin Tent with Dark Room Technology. This version of the Coleman cabin tent is constructed to keep 90% of the sunlight out of your tent. This makes your summertime camping more enjoyable. This tent has 4.2 stars with over 3700 reviews and at a price of $180. A great price for a great tent, a Coleman Tent, the name in camping.
We are Familytentspro.com. We take the time to read the reviews and gather the technical information so that we can provide you with a comprehensive concise review so that you can make an educated decision on your Family Tent. Also please note that we are Amazon Associates and my receive a commission on your purchase. In addition, being affiliates with Amazon allows us to have access to may different tent manufactures so we can always give you an unbiased recommendation.
The Coleman 6-person Instant Cabin Tent with Sunblock takes under 5 minutes to assemble. One person can do this quite easily as the poles are connected to the top of the tent, so all you need to do is erect the telescoping poles to create the frame. Once this is up, add the rainfly, stake the tent to the ground and install the guidelines. Keep in mind that, as with most tent manufacturers, the supplied tent stakes are of low quality. In this case, do yourself a favor and purchase some high quality stakes. This will add strength and security to your tent installation.
This Family tent has the tub style base which helps keep water out of the tent. This base is made of a tarp material and comes up 3” on all sides. This aids in the water running around the tent. Please note that we always recommend that you lay a tarp under the tent for extra protection from rocks and branches poking through the bottom. Another good idea is to trench around the tent to divert water from directly running towards you tent. In addition, please chose your tent site with care. This is always the best starting point.
The Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin Tent is weatherproof. The rainfly keeps the top of the tent dry in rain and wind. In addition, it has welded corners for added weatherproofing and strength. To add even more resistance the WeatherTech system also provides covered seems for rain will not penetrate the seams. The Outer fabric is taffeta 150d and 150 D poly mesh.
In the area of ventilation, there are windows on three sides and one D-style door. The windows zip closed and the zippers seem to be of good quality of both the windows and door. We do as always recommend bees wax to help the zippers work even better.
Ventilation is rather poor as there are no lower vents, and just a 6” mesh vent on top. This does make the tent hot in warmer weather.
The interior of this Family Tent is10’ by 9’ with a center height of 6’. This tent will accommodate 2 queen beds but is best with on Queen and 2 adults and a small child. Also to note, this tent comes with 2 storage pockets inside, but doesn’t have a storage loft or lantern hook, mainly due to the height constraints.
This lightweight family tent is 25 pounds and fits nicely into the provided storage bag. This tent is good for backpacking and hiking but keep in mind that it is rather bulky due to the instant cabin design. It is also a good choice for car camping.
Pros for the Coleman 6 Person Instant Cabin Tent:
1. Easy setup, average 2 minute with one person. Bulls good quality. Polls
2. Construction and Polls are made of good quality.
3. Sunblock good. Keeps 90% of the sun out of the tent
4. Windows on all sides. 2 zippers on each.
5. Zippers good quality.
6. Holds up under 35mph. winds
7. Warmer and cooler weather due to less ventilation
8. Great for car camping.
9. Is dirty. Holds up under win 35mph
Cons to the Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin Tent:
1. Poor door design with the D-door. Because of location and size, you will need to crawl into and out of the tent. In addition, you will need you to drag your gear into the tent. This also defeats the purpose of the 6 foot ceiling.
2. Some customers complain of leaking at the windows and leaks at some seams.
3. In addition, the pockets leak. The feeling here is that items in the pockets wick moisture into the tent.
4. Some options on this tent don’t come with the rainfly. It is imperative that you purchase this tent with the rainfly.
5. Storage bag is of poor quality. This is a common complaint with most tents, usually the zipper is the weakness.
6. No vents at the bottom of the tent, so ventilation is poor. Only ventilation is a 6” vent at the top of the tent.
7. No upper storage and no lantern hook.
8. Zippers stick. We recommend using bees wax to help in this area.
9. Coleman customer service is not always in touch with their customer. However, you still have access to the Amazon Customer Service.
10. Rain Repellant is recommended for this tent.
The Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin Tent with Sunblock is a good solid family tent. With the 10’ by 9’ footprint is of good size for the small family. Assembly is easy and quick. Takedown and storage is equally simple. Pricing is fair at $180 for the Coleman name. This tent is excellent for car camping. In addition, while being larger and more bulky than other styles of tents, this tent, at 25 pounds, is still a good choice for hiking and back packing.
While it does it have a few short comings, these items can be addressed by some simple solutions. This tent should strongly be considered.